Perhaps you stocked up during one of these big vape juice sales or maybe you won some sort of giveaway. Either way, you may have a collection of vape juice that has started to concern you in regards to its longevity. Fret not, we will explain the shelflife of your e-liquids and how to extend them. First, we need to understand what the ingredients are within vape juice to then explain what among them can actually expire.
Ingredients In Vape Juice:
- Flavoring: Derived from Propylene Glycol or Vegetable Glycerin, may include sweeteners.
- Propylene Glycol: Propylene glycol is an organic compound with the chemical formula CH₃CHCH₂OH. It is a viscous, colorless liquid which is nearly odorless but possesses a faintly sweet taste. (Source)
- Vegetable Glycerin: It is widely used in the food industry as a sweetener and humectant in pharmaceutical formulations. (Source)
- Nicotine: The nicotine in e-liquid can be derived from tobacco leaves, fruit, or made in labs from chemical compounds.
- Sweetener: The sweeteners in use within the mixture of e-liquids can span from natural sugar cane, stevia, or other alternatives.
So Does E-Liquid Expire?:
Yes, sadly it does have a date where vape juice ends its quality period. Nicotine starts losing its potency after a 2 year period when it is not contained in ideal circumstances. This can be extended by keeping it frozen but that’s not ideal for most of us. Keeping nicotine potent to its full lifespan requires keeping it away from natural sunlight, away from heat or exposed to air. Not doing this can lead to it developing a peppery taste that as imagined may create a very disgusting experience. Unlike nicotine propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin don’t develop a change in taste but their viscosity may be altered. All of these factors combined pretty much bring an end to your vape liquids as you know it. So how can you extend its life?
Tips To Slow Down The Expiration of E-Liquid:
- Avoid direct sunlight
- Store your e-liquid in darkened storage such as drawers, boxes, cabinets
- Avoid excessive heat or temperatures above seventy degrees Fahrenheit
- Do not leave your liquids uncapped and exposed to air
So Can Vape Juice Expire? Yes, it can but there are ways to delay that process.